“Can’t Play Won’t Play” is full of practical information, tips and hints to enable children with DCD to access and enjoy activities that other children take for granted.
Whatever game you choose to try with your child, this book will offer handy hints for developing the necessary skills to make it a fun and rewarding experience.
From football and rugby to swimming, skipping and skating, the advice covers all the regular childhood activities as well as games to improve physical organization and social skills.
The authors provide useful equipment lists and safety tips, and include photographs and diagrams to demonstrate the activities. The delightful illustrations add to the book’s appeal, making it a friendly and accessible guide to dip into when you are in need of inspiration.
“Can’t Play Won’t Play” is an essential resource for parents, teachers and all those working with children with DCD.
- 1. Introduction… Usually a Really Good Place to Start!
- 2. Can’t Play Won’t Play
- 3. Let’s Go Swimming
- 4. On your Bike!
- 5. Throwing, Catching and Bat and Ball Games
- 6. Soccer Crazy: Can We Kick it? Yes We Can!
- 7. Rugby: A Game of Up and Under
- 8. Skip to my Lou
- 9. ‘French’ Skipping… Ooh La La!
- 10. Get Your Skates On
- 11. Bounce Back: Rebounding for Fun and Fitness
- 12. ‘B’ is for Balance and Ball
- 13. Let’s get Physical
- 14. Chill Out
- Further Reading
- Appendix 1
- Appendix 2
- Appendix 3
Authors: Sharon Drew and Elizabeth Atter