Senstional Kids is an award-winning social enterprise
Take a Look at what we do in our short videos
Sensational Kids is a high impact not-for-profit organisation delivering life-changing, accessible and affordable, timely interventions to 10,000+ children of all abilities over the last 10 years, saving their families over €2.5 million in therapy fees.
CEO, Karen Leigh is the founding member of Sensational Kids. Having experienced lengthy waiting lists and a lack of affordable and accessible occupational therapy services for her own children, Karen founded Sensational Kids in 2007, bridging the gap between public and private therapy services for children of all abilities.
Today Sensational Kids employs 30+ staff, including a highly skilled clinical team across our child development centres in Kildare, Mayo, Monaghan and West Cork, providing vital supports such as occupational therapy, speech & language therapy, play therapy and hippotherapy.
Sensational Kids is Ireland’s leading non-profit provider of affordable and accessible early intervention services for children with additional needs in Ireland.
Why Sensational Kids?
A lack of affordable support services for children who are experiencing developmental delays, or those that have special educational needs, means that too many children in Ireland are struggling to reach their full potential. The figures themselves are startling;
- Over 86,000 children waiting for speech & language and occupational therapy
Identifying and treating these difficulties at a young age will give a child a much better quality of life, but with lengthy public waiting lists, often the only alternative for families is expensive private sector care.
Experiencing these difficulties first-hand, our CEO & Founder Karen Leigh became frustrated with the lengthy waiting lists her family faced in Ireland, not to mention the €120 an hour fees they had to pay for private occupational therapy. Determined to make a difference, she set out to create an affordable and accessible service that families like hers could benefit from.
Established in 2007, Sensational Kids operates as a child development centre, providing three key offerings for children and their families;
- Subsidised therapy services for children in need of additional support
- Professional development training workshops for those working with children with special needs
- Access to a range of specially selected learning resources from our play, develop & learn store
- Collectively, these services are ensuring that the children benefiting from them can improve their skills and maximise their potential.
To date, Sensational Kids has directly supported 10,000+ children from all over Ireland through our child development centres in Leinster, Munster & Connacht. Thanks to the fantastic work of the entire team, these children are now being given the opportunity to excel.
With our online store and retail shop helping to subsidise our services, Sensational Kids has already saved families in Ireland over €2.5 million in therapy fees alone, providing a practical, accessible, and affordable service for those in need.
Each year 500+ professionals benefit from upskilling through our range of professional development training workshops. Identifying and treating these difficulties at a young age will give a child a much better quality of life, but with lengthy public waiting lists, often the only alternative for families is expensive private sector care.
Sensational Kids caters to a wide range of sectors including
- Timely therapy intervention for children with additional needs, with and without a diagnosis (all abilities)
- Professional development training for those who work with children with additional needs
- Access to learning resources for organizations in education, and clinical service provision, child development, professionals, individuals, and educators
Our service model is built around three pillars:
- To Assessments
- To Nationwide Locations across four centres of excellence
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech & Language Therapy
- Educational Psychology
- Play Therapy
- Reading Tuition
- Training Workshops &
- Learning Resources
National Child Development Centres
- Occupational therapy assessments and intervention
- Speech & Language therapy assessments and intervention
- Educational Psychological Assessments
- Play Therapy
- Specialist reading tuition for struggling readers
- Social Skills Groups
All children and adolescents in Ireland have access to timely and impactful therapeutic services.
Our mission is to transform the lives of children through therapy, toys and training.
FAMILY CENTERED: It is more than just the child/ adolescents
INCLUSIVE: All children, all adolescents, all ages, all abilities
RESPECT: Everyone is equal and TRUST is key
FUN: Always finding time to smile and laugh.
PLAY: Play-based model to support therapeutic engagement
EXCELLENCE: Quality in everything we do
SOCIAL ENTERPRISE: The SK mission is the heart of everything we do
INNOVATION: Always looking at what could progress and be better