Maureen is an experienced paediatric Speech & Language Therapist and Therapy Team Leader at Sensational Kids child development centre in Claremorris, Co Mayo.
Maureen joined the team at Sensational Kids Child Development Centre Claremorris, Co. Mayo in 2020 having returned to Ireland after many years working in New York. She graduated with distinction from Mercy College, NY in 2016 with a Master of Science degree in Communication Disorders. During her six years of post qualification experience as a speech language therapist, Maureen has worked in a variety of private and public settings with a diverse population of children and adolescents presenting with speech and language delay, Autism Spectrum Disorder, ADHD, Selective Mutism, Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome, Fragile-X, articulation, phonological, fluency disorders, pragmatic language disorders and learning disabilities.
She has provided individual and group therapy to children of all ages and enjoys working with families, multidisciplinary teams and schools to ensure cohesive intervention and best outcomes for her clients. Maureen also has experience working with adults with cognitive/communication difficulties and has further developed her skills in the area of dysphagia with recent clinical experience in an acute medical setting.
- Master of Science with Distinction in Communication Disorders Mercy College, New York 2016
- Undergraduate Studies in Communication Disorders (GPA 4.0) Iona College New Rochelle, New York 2011-2013
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in English Language/Literature and Political Science Queen’s University Belfast, N. Ireland 1991
- ASHA Certified Speech Language Pathologist (American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Certificate of Clinical Competence).
- Member of IASLT (Irish Association of Speech and Language Therapists)
- CORU Registered (Organisation for Regulating Health and Social Care Professionals)
Continuous Professional Development Courses Completed
- Floortime Intro February 2023
- Lamh Module 1, November 2022
- Hanen Certified It Takes Two to Talk® The Hanen Program® for Parents
- Playing to Pretend or “Pretending” to Play: Play in Young Children with Autism presented by Dr. Carol Westby June 2022
- Foundations of language in the first year: How the human infant comes prepared to develop speech presented by Dr. Kimbrough Oller June 2022
- Autism, Learning Style and the Impact of Visual Teaching Methods May 2022
- Autism & Social Communication presented by Middletown Centre For Autism April 2022
- Building Blocks for Sensory Integration presented by Sheila Frick November 2021
- Neurodiversity-Affirming Therapeutic Practice for the Autistic Population presented by Rachel Dorsey MS, CCC-SLP September 2021
- Hanen It Takes Two to Talk Workshop October 2021
- Dysphagia Care Training April 2021
- Autism Cork Conference October 2020
- Introduction to PROMPTS Technique (PROMPTS for Restructuring Oral Muscular Phonetic Targets) presented by The Prompt Institute November 2019
Completed the following at the 2018 ASHA Convention Boston, MA:
- Apply Evidence-Based Vocabulary Intervention Techniques With Numerous Activities for the School Age Child
- Attention & Language Learning: What We Know About Attention’s Role in Language Intervention
- Critical Components of Narrative Discourse Intervention for School-Age Students
- Everything Old is New Again: Treating Speech Sound Disorders
- Strategies to Improve Expressive Language Skills in Preschool Children With Learning Disorders
- Ways to Help School-Age Children Communicate & Learn