- Students receive a quick, thorough review of cursive with emphasis on difficult connections.
- Practice pages reinforce other language arts lessons (grammar, Greek/Latin word roots).
- Cursive skills are used to write paragraphs, poetry, and thank you notes.
When to Choose
- Your child is in the fifth grade or functioning at this level.
- Your older child hasn’t mastered printing or cursive writing (choose print or cursive).
- Your child needs to develop fluency in cursive writing (Can-Do Cursive).
Materials That May Be Used At This Level Include
- Can-do Cursive student workbook or Can-do Print student workbook
- Narrow Rule Double Line Paper (100 sheet pack)
If Student Is Not Writing at Grade Level
Your student may need extra help with handwriting. Review the criteria listed above, decide which materials would be appropriate for your child, and begin at that level. The teacher’s guides will help you address letter formation, spacing, cursive connections, sentence writing, placement of letters on double lines, and more.
You may need to meet with your child’s teacher to determine the appropriate amount of written work from your child. When a child is learning a new skill, it may be necessary to decrease the amount of written work until your child masters handwriting. If overburdened with writing while having bad handwriting habits, your child will become very frustrated. Allow mastery of handwriting skills before expecting quantity in the work. The teachers’ guides can guide you with troubleshooting.
Products for a Child with a Learning Disability
Our materials are designed to teach handwriting in a developmental sequence. Teaching strategies encourage mastery of certain handwriting skills before progression to the next lesson. This strategy is appropriate for all children, including those children with special needs.
Review the criteria lists above and determine which materials would be most appropriate for your child. Based on developmental ability, an older child may use a workbook designed for younger children.