Author of the award-winning Social Skills Picture Book series, Dr. Jed Baker offers parents and teachers strategies for preventing and managing meltdowns.
His 20+ years of experience working with children on the autism spectrum, combined with his personal experiences raising his own children, have yielded time-tested strategies, and results!
Dr. Baker offers an easy-to-follow, 4-step model that will improve your everyday relationships with the children in your life:
1) Managing your own emotions by adjusting your expectations,
2) Learning strategies to calm a meltdown in the moment,
3) Understanding why a meltdown occurs, and
4) Creating plans to prevent future meltdowns.
Helpful chapters include:
- When rewards and punishments are not enough
- What are meltdowns made of?
- Accepting and appreciating our children
- De-escalating a meltdown
- Understanding why repeat problems occur
- Creating a prevention plan
- Threats to self-image
- Unmet wishes for attention