It could happen at the grocery store. At a restaurant. At school. At home.
Author of the award-winning “Social Skills Picture Book” series, Dr. Jed Baker offers parents and teachers strategies for preventing and managing meltdowns.
His 20+ years of experience working with children on the autism spectrum, combined with his personal experiences raising his own children, have yielded time-tested strategies, and results! Dr. Baker offers an easy-to-follow, 4-step model that will improve your everyday relationships with the children in your life:
- 1) Managing your own emotions by adjusting your expectations
- 2) Learning strategies to calm a meltdown in the momen
- 3) Understanding why a meltdown occurs
- 4) Creating plans to prevent future meltdowns.
Helpful chapters include:
- Meltdowns: When rewards and punishments are not enough
- What are meltdowns made of?
- Accepting and appreciating our children
- De-escalating a meltdown
- Understanding why repeat problems occur
- Creating a prevention plan
- Threats to self-image
- Unmet wishes for attention