Each character represents a different pattern and tells children how they can self regulate through the use of food and sensory-based activities.
- Wary Wanda represents hyper-vigilance. She is constantly on the alert for possible danger.
- Frightened Fred represents the fear behaviours; startle, cry out, and cling.
- Run-Away Ronnie represents the emotionally reactive flight pattern. He runs away in the hope that adults will become more protective towards him.
- Busy Beatrice represents the emotionally avoidant flight pattern. She keeps herself busy to avoid dealing with her true feelings.
- Fired-Up Freda represents the fight pattern. She becomes angry with others when she is frightened.
- Frozen Frank represents the emotionally reactive freeze pattern. He becomes resistant -defiant when he is asked to do something that frightens him.
- Frozen Florence represents the emotionally avoidant freeze pattern. She compulsively complies when she is fearful, but when she is left alone she quietly goes her own way.
- Day-Dreamy Derek represents the cut out/dissociation pattern. He daydreams to escape from feeling stressed.
- Sleepy Sue represents the shutdown pattern. She falls asleep when things become too much for her.
- “The Scared Gang go to the Seaside”: a single story featuring all 9 Scared Gang Characters on a day out. The story illustrates the regulating properties of food and play.
- The Scared Gang Playing Cards: a set of 9 pairs of picture playing cards featuring the Scared Gang Characters at play. Suitable for “Memory” and other matching games.