It has been particularly aimed at adults with an intellectual disability (learning disability) or older children with special needs. It has been adapted from the Talkabout for Children: developing self-awareness and self-esteem book to be suitable for an older audience. This means that some of the activities are almost identical but a number of them have been adapted to be more appropriate. There are also some new activities such as the ‘A book about me…’ which enables the adults to make up a book over the course of the sessions that will summarise some keys personal facts. This can work well as an addition to a communication passport or equivalent, or can stand alone as an alternative.
TALKABOUT for Adults is a stand-alone resource with approximately a year’s worth of activities to develop self-awareness and self-esteem. It has 50 activities to do with adults and it has been successfully piloted at Speaking Space. It includes:
A short assessment of self-awareness and self-esteem
A year’s worth of work on self-awareness and self-esteem including 50 activities and some worksheets
Practical suggestions to make your group work successful including 25 group cohesion activities, a plan for intervention, and forms for monitoring and evaluation
This resource continues to use the TALKABOUT hierarchical approach to teaching skills, that is, basic self-awareness skills are taught prior to more complex skills such as social skills and friendship skills. This also means that this resource is designed to be used logically from topic 1 through to topic 8. Most of the activities are more suited to working in a group setting but some of them can be adapted for one-to-one work.
The Complete Talkabout range consists of:
- Talkabout Book – A Social Communication Skills Package
- Talkabout Activities Book – Develop Social Communication Skills
- Talkabout Relationships Book – Building Self-Esteem & Relationship Skills
- Talkabout for Teenagers Book – Developing Social and Communication Skills
- Talkabout for Adults: Developing Self Awareness and Self Esteem
- Talkabout DVD (incl. A5 Booklet) – Social Communication Skills
- Talkabout Assessment Tool (CD-Rom)
- Talkabout for Children 1: Developing Self Awareness and Self Esteem
- Talkabout for Children 2: Developing Social Skills
- Talkabout for Children Book 3: Developing Friendship Skills
- Talkabout Game – Developing Self-Esteem, Social Skills and Friendship Skills
- Talkabout Posters – Set of 16 A3 Posters
- Talkabout Cards – Self Awareness Activities
- Talkabout Cards – Group Cohesion
- Talkabout Cards – Who Am I?