It also presents a proven eight-step behavior management plan specifically designed for 6- to 18-year-olds with ADHD. Offering encouragement, guidance, and loads of practical tips, Dr. Barkley helps you:
- Make sense of your child’s symptoms.
- Get an accurate diagnosis.
- Work with school and health care professionals to get needed support.
- Learn parenting techniques that promote better behavior.
- Strengthen your child’s academic and social skills.
- Use rewards and incentives effectively.
- Restore harmony at home.
Updated throughout with current research and resources, the third edition includes the latest facts about medications and about what causes (and doesn’t cause) ADHD.
Table of Contents:
Introduction: A Guiding Philosophy for Parents of Children with ADHD.
Part I. Understanding ADHD.
- What Is Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder?
- “What’s Really Wrong with My Child?”:
- Poor Self-Control.
- What Causes ADHD?
- What to Expect:The Nature of the Disorder.
- The Family Context of a Child with ADHD.
Part II. Taking Charge: How to Be a Successful Executive Parent.
- Deciding to Have Your Child Evaluated for ADHD.
- Preparing for the Evaluation.
- Coping with the Diagnosis of ADHD.
- Fourteen Guiding Principles for Raising a Child with ADHD.
- Just for Parents: How to Take Care of Yourself.
Part III. Managing Life with ADHD: How to Cope at Home and at School.
- Eight Steps to Better Behavior.
- Taking Charge at Home: The Art of Problem Solving.
- How to Help Your Child with Peer Problems.
- Getting through Adolescence, with Arthur L. Robin, PhD.
- Off to School on the Right Foot: Managing Your Child’s Education, with Linda J. Pfiffner, PhD.
- Enhancing Education at School and at Home: Methods for Success from Kindergarten through Grade 12, with Linda J. Pfiffner, PhD.
- Keeping School Performance in Perspective.
Part IV. Medications for ADHD.
- The Approved Effective Medicines: Stimulants and Non Stimulants.
- Other Medicines: Antidepressants and Antihypertensives.
- Support Services for Parents.
- Suggested Reading and Videos.