From her unique perspective as a professional speech and language therapist who has classic dyslexia herself, Rita Treacy explores the complexity surrounding the identification and treatment of dyslexia, addressing both the emotional and practical aspects of diagnosis and remediation.
Does your child struggle to read or write? Do you suspect they have dyslexia, or have they recently been diagnosed with dyslexia? Are you wondering where do you go from here?
A diagnosis of dyslexia can be both a relief and a frustration. From her unique perspective as a professional speech and language therapist who has classic dyslexia herself, Rita Treacy explores the complexity surrounding the identification and treatment of dyslexia. Clear, concise and direct, Dyslexia Unravelled addresses:
- What it’s like to be dyslexic – the humiliation of being different
- Identifying the early signs of dyslexia and how to identify, collect and present the information you will need in order to seek help for your child
- The multidisciplinary assessment process and how to identify which services will be required
- The differences between dyslexia and other reading/spelling disorders
- Choosing the correct intervention method to receive the best results
- The dangers surrounding undiagnosed or untreated dyslexia and the serious emotional and behavioural side effects
- Supports and technology for remediating literacy difficulties
Aimed primarily at parents, Dyslexia Unravelled will also be of interest to teachers, psychologists, speech and language therapists, occupational therapists, educationalists and anyone with a concern about or interest in understanding dyslexia.